Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Double O Show

In case you haven't heard, Oprah has started endorsing Obama, and to great effect. They have started a tour featuring Oprah herself, and this week in Iowa they put up a show. And it was the quite the show apparently, as a huge crowd was drawn and much attention was gathered. At the event, Oprah herself gave a speech that she wrote without any help from the Obama campaign. A friend of hers reported that she allegedly wrote the speech herself the night before.


Oprah's speech described Obama as an honest politician, which is something even she admitted to be a rare sight. She listed all of the cheesy promotional scenes that politicians of the past have used: stunts, sitting on porches with everyday people, and intimate conversations. Honestly, I've had enough of such disturbingly obvious attempts at bridging the gap between the foreign political landscape and everyday life. That's one of the reasons why I actually like Obama, if even just a little, because he doesn't have to use such ploys to seem honest and sincere. He doesn't have enough experience in politics itself, which hasn't lead to his corruption and alienation from the common people. You can whine all you want about him not being an experience politician, but at least he isn't a complete sneaky bastard like many politicians.

In my opinion, Oprah's endorsement of Obama will probably gain him a decent amount of votes. Oprah herself draws from the same type of charisma that housewives and factory workers alike can relate to. I don't watch Oprah, and I'm not sure if I'd even vote Democrat, but if I did, I'd vote for Obama. At least, if I had to vote right now, who knows how he could screw up in the future.

No comments: